We're looking for someone to join Caritas Anchor House to make a difference in people's lives in East London. We are looking for an Assistant Support Worker to join our Supported Accommodation team!
About the charity
Our mission is to build hope, enable lasting change, and end homelessness for people in East London. We are here to help people in our local community to build their new beginnings, by:
Providing a safe place - to make sure that people experiencing homelessness have somewhere safe to stay as they begin to rebuild their lives
Offering support - to encourage and enable people to build a better future for themselves, through the provision of personalised support, educational and life skills opportunities
Building resilience – to build networks of support, and empower people to navigate services with confidence and be a proactive member of their community outside of and beyond life at Caritas Anchor House.
We are going through an exciting period of change and growth, having recently launched an ambitious strategic plan, with goals including having a positive impact on the lives of more people experiencing homelessness than ever before.
About the role
Salary: £14,400 per annum
Hours: Part time, 22.5 hours per week, rotating shift pattern from Monday to Sunday
Location: Plashet at Newham, London
Based within the Supported Accommodation team, this role works alongside Support Workers to promote resident engagement through the development of positive relationships with our residents and contributing towards the promotion of a fulfilling, safe and inclusive environment with a particular focus on communal areas and optimising use of facilities.
Other responsibilities include
- To maintain and support links made into community programmes and resources.
- To ensure all service delivery policies and decisions made by the Team Manager or team are observed and followed through.
- To keep accurate records and statistics on referrals, service outputs and outcomes etc.
- To maintain a high standard of record keeping in the office and keep all financial and administrative systems including resident files in the office in an accurate and up-to-date manner in line with policy.
- Ensure the results of resident interactions are entered clearly and in a timely fashion onto Inform case management system.
- Ability to interact and communicate effectively with a wide variety of people at all levels, maintaining professional boundaries.
- The willingness to develop skills to support people who may be in difficult personal or emotional situations.
- A genuine interest in helping vulnerable adults to make changes in their life and the ability to maintain enthusiasm for a high level of contact with clients on a day to day basis, having the willingness to develop these skills.
- Some experience of dealing directly with the public and/or clients or customers in a busy service environment.
- Some experience of dealing with complex and difficult behaviours in relation to people.
- Good IT skills (particularly Microsoft Office packages).
- An understanding of, and empathy with the issues faced by people who experience homelessness or rough sleeping.
This position also requires an ability and willingness to work shifts including evenings, weekends and waking night shifts on a rota basis.
When applying don't forget to answer the questions in our application process to tell us more about how you meet the skills, knowledge, and experience to be successful in this role.
At Caritas Anchor House, we are proud of our inclusive workplace where we celebrate difference, value everyone’s contribution, and where people of all backgrounds and cultures can thrive. We do not accept discrimination or harassment, and all our recruitment decisions are based on fair and open competition, with appointments on merit. We are committed to growing our workplace further by making sure that our teams are as diverse and inclusive as they can be. We welcome applications from everyone and encourage people with lived experience of homelessness, a disability, and from ethnic minority backgrounds to apply. This is to ensure we are taking positive action in order to achieve our legitimate aim of a balanced representation in our teams, at all levels. We want to foster a culture in which everyone is united around our shared mission and values, and in which our people are active participants in our success.
This post is subject to an Enhanced DBS check and the right to work in the UK.